Sunday, February 24, 2013

Just the beginning...

I have been wanting to put together a blog in honor of Grandma Story for a long time. A place where we can share memories of her and publish her stories and poems. A place where we can come together more as a family, which I think would make her very happy. Please pass this blog along to fellow family members, since I only have a few emails.

I'll begin with just a simple memory and then I hope you will all pitch in and share yours. I remember very vividly our walks. It didn't matter how old I was, Grandma would still introduce me to Mr. Spruce and Mr. Quaky (she'd reach out and grab a branch for me to shake) and she'd point out all of the other beautiful flowers and plants along the way.  She knew every tree, every flower by name and noticed every subtle change. She heard and recognized every song bird along the way, stopping to listen to each song. She saw beauty in everything, even the dandilions in her yard,  she didn't have the heart to mow down because "they are just too pretty". She saw beauty and goodness in everyone.  She had some neighbors that were rough around the edges, yet she knew them all by name, knew their stories and loved them all. And seeing her, their harsh exteriors would melt away, they knew she loved them, despite of their struggles and weaknesses. I know that she wasn't always this way, but the storms of her life brought her closer to her Savior and she became more and more like Him in her later years. 

Being a busy mom of 4, I draw on this example. It is so easy to be distracted, disconnected and ungrateful. I have to conciously choose to take walks, to notice, truly notice God's many beautiful creations. To get to know and love all my neighbors and recognize the subtle changes in their lives so that I can be there to listen, to help. To see the beauty around me even though I may be surrounded with the opposite. Grandma didn't live in a beautiful house, or in a very pretty neighborhood. Infact, she lived on the west side in a run down neighborhood. None of the yards were really landscaped, her own backyard was honestly more than a bit shabby. But that is not what I saw when I went on these walks with my Grandma, I saw her little world through her eyes which made everything beautiful.

4 comments:

  1. Of course, as Leah’s oldest child, I am deeply interested in the memories of Leah Story. She lived a checkered life full of ups and downs. But she managed to come through it all with courage and Christ-like love for everyone around her. Mary mentioned the run-down neighborhood she lived in. But as a young man in that neighborhood, I never saw it as such. When I lived there we seldom locked the doors and our neighbors were kind, generous people who helped each other. It wasn’t until many years later that it became run-down, but even then, my mother walked around the neighborhood by herself with complete confidence in her own safety. Towards the end of Leah’s life, her neighbors were mostly poor below middle class, but they all loved her and watched over her.

    The only time I remember my mother being in an unsafe situation was when she visited Liberty Park on the East side of town. She and her daughter, Darlynn, were crossing the street when a man accosted them and tried to steal one of Darlynn’s shoes. Mom took off her shoe and hit the man on the head until he ran away. Mom was fearless when it came to defending her children.

    I will share more stories about Leah Story later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I was younger taking turns with my siblings staying with "Nanna" as we called her; nick named because one of my brothers couldn't pronounce "grandma" and it stuck. I always looked forward to the adventures with Nanna. It was usually a one or two day stay over the weekend in the summertime. We went to church; sometimes went to a movie or out to eat. To me I felt I was the most important person in her life because she listened to me and showed interest in my life even as a young boy. She always found opportunity to bring into any conversation a spiritual message or thought. To me she was one of the kindest, most gentle people I have ever known. I love my memories of my grandma "Nanna".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always looked forward to weekends with her, too. She really had a way of making you feel special!

      Delete